friend Noora who is from Kozhikode makes excellent malabar biriyani.
Following is the copy paste of the recipe she gave me. Though the
preparation is time consuming the final results are very much worth the
For marinating Chicken (full chicken cut into medium size pieces)
In a vessel add 3 sliced onions,3 chopped tomatoes, 1 sprig curry
leaves,20 chopped green chillies,6 cloves of garlic chopped,3 cm ginger
chopped, coriander leaves and mint leaves.Mix thoroughly with hand.
2. Add chicken,3 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
3. Heat cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon in medium heat and grind. 2 tbsp of this powder is required.
4. Add 1 tbsp of the above spice powder, 3tbsp yogurt and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
5. Mix with hand thoroughly for 5 minutes – Keep it aside for 10minutes.
6. Add ghee/oil in pan
7. Fry cashew nuts and raisins.Drain and keep aside
8. Deep fry 2 big onions sliced very thin in same oil, till it becomes
brown (add a pinch of salt for taste).Drain and keep aside.
9. Take a pan and add 3 tbsp oil.
10. Add the marinated chicken, close with lid and cook the chicken on low heat.DONOT add water.(This will take 30 to 45mts)
Preparing ghee rice
11. Add 5 tbsp ghee to a hot pan.
12. Add a pinch of jeera, a pinch spice powder from step 3,salt and 8 cups of water.
13. When the water boils add 4 cups of washed and drained basmati rice and cook till rice is done.
14. Layer half of the chicken in a big vessel.
15. Add the cooked rice on top of chicken
16. Layer with fried onion and sprinkle spice powder from step 5.
17. Garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves, fried cashew nuts and raisins
18. Repeat from step 14 till the rice and chicken is over.
19. Cover it with aluminium foil and keep aside for 30minutes before serving.